FROM THE PNB SCHEDULE:
PNB motions: Motion #2
The PNB Programming Committee recommends to the PNB that all action on the creation of “Program Councils” pursuant to a previous motion from the Programming Committee to the PNB, be held until after the Committee is able to receive and review information about station program operations (pursuant to motion passed by the Committee on 12/19/14) and provides recommendations to the PNB.
The provision of said feedback to the PNB will be a priority of the Committee and our expectation is that the report will be sent to the PNB by March 13, 2015.
Old Program Council Motion approved by 2012 PNB [Bolding of keywords in an attempt to enhance readability added by me, Sue}
The PNB directs the executive director to set up Program Councils as management committees, at each station.
The composition of the committee shall consist of 1/3 staff, selected by stv election, 1/3 members of the LSB, also selected by an stv election, and 1/3 listeners, approved jointly by the LSB and the Program Director by a procedure satisfactory to both. Terms shall be for the maximum of 2 years, or for an LSB member, the term on the LSB, whichever is less.
The Program Councils shall serve to provide a collaborative nexus between the board, the listeners, the staff and the management of the station for the purpose of implementing the programming policies of the LSB and PNB. Specifically, they shall have the power to review programs and vet new programs, including for compliance with the mission, and recommend changes to schedules. They shall also provide for adjudication of programming issues arising between programmers and management, where no other means of doing so exists. They will set their own agendas in these regards.
Program directors will serve as non voting ex-officio members of the Program Councils. The Programming Councils are charged with making recommendations to the Program Director. If the program director declines to act on such recommendations, he/she shall report his/her reasons and respond to dialogue on the issue from the Council. Such dialogue shall be made widely available to the listeners. If consensus cannot be reached on a course of action between the Program Director and a majority of the Council, the Council can appeal the decision to the GM with a vote of 2/3 of its members.
All meetings of the Program Council will be in public session, with the exception of those that are required to be in Executive Session by the Pacifica Bylaws. The Council shall determine by majority vote whether any given meeting must be held as an Executive session.
(Passed in committee 7-0.)
Public Comment 10 minutes
12 noon Lunch
1 pm Board reconvenes
Spanish Language Task Force – 15 min.
IMPLEMENTATION: MOVED BY SPANISH LANG TASK FORCE
The SLTF urges the IED to direct GMs now to institute the Spanish Language Programming motion and to request a plan of action from GMs by March 15 and implementation by April 15, 2015.
Amendment to be made at the in-person meeting:
The date of action for this motion having passed, move to amend the date for the plan of action
1. Time : after 6 am and before 9 pm
2. By the PNB June 2015 meeting to be fully noticed to all radio station managers and PDs
3. New Spanish language programming committees to be develop right after, no later than 1 week after PNB meeting AT ALL radio signals. Managers make the call for the formation of such committees thru PSAs, websites and thru community forums and organizations.
4. To be implemented no later than Monday August 31 2015
5. Be national, to say each radio station should have it
6. “each weekday in the Spanish language” at least 5 hours additional to existing Spanish Language programming (some radio signals do not have any).
7. New programming will vary according to the radio signal demographic and geographic, conditions, per example, in Los Angeles might be added to the existing strip of programming, in Washington (if no programming in Spanish is offered at this time) might have to be only at weekends (strips or blocks of programming) or at any given best day during the week, so each station will decide as long as it is after 6 am and before 9 pm
8. Each radio have to develop a committee (collectives) in charge of such programming and report to the PNB’s task force as to guarantee that such programming will be permanent.
9. Brief introduction in English might be considered at certain signals.
10. Must take in account women, African descent communities, programming for youth and by youth, indigenous, activists, alternative music or art programming, environmental issues, political movements around the continent or the world etc. alternative Health programming, Chicano Mexicano programming as well as Puerto Rican resistance, Central or south American issues, inmigration issues, black liberation movements. white supremacy, gender, race, neo colonialism, culture/art, poverty, etc. news from all over Latin America with stringers in the USA as well as from Latin America and the Caribbean.
11. Pacifica outreach committees must develop in coordination with the Spanish Language task force, management and programming committees a well prepared promotional plan for such new programming as to guarantee self sustainability as much as possible.
12. Management, LSBs and parties involved will develop community forums with their respective communities to get the word out.
13. IF there is any radio signal that needs programming because no collectives are formed yet, such programming can be elaborated and provided by other collectives from sister signals.
14. National meetings to be planned among Spanish language programmers to be in well coordination and maintain programs improving.
15. Every new programmer and volunteers MUST be totally willing to raise funds, work in collectives and be part of the of the National Association of Spanish Language programmers and volunteers which will be created to keep always good communications among the new programs.
16. Existing programmers to provide workshops as needed for those collectives in need.